You should use a modern web browser to view this website. You may experience functional and design issues with the outdated web browser you are currently using.

Throughout its lifespan the Thameslink Programme has been committed to delivering best practice in materials management, energy efficiency, disruption management and biodiversity.

Alongside contractors and suppliers, the Thameslink Programme has won numerous awards for its approach to environment sustainability and considerate construction.

Through proactive management the Thameslink Programme has been committed to using resources sustainably and reducing, or reusing, waste produced on site, while also minimising disruption created by noise, vibration and poor air quality.

Rebuilding London Bridge sustainably

Key achievements during the redevelopment of London Bridge station included:

  • Reducing the amount of waste produced and our carbon footprint, through reusing over 6,000 tonnes of material
  • Recycling 99% of all waste that has been removed from the site – nearly 490,000 tonnes as of April 2018. The remaining 1% is mostly made up of asbestos contaminated material
  • A 58% reduction in embodied carbon compared to industry standards, through using 98% recycled steel
  • A 32.5% increase in fuel efficiency for construction machinery, through re-training staff in eco-friendly practice
  • Future energy and carbon savings, through the selection of energy-efficient escalators to help manage flow of passengers around the station during peak times
  • Reducing noise impacts for the local community, through taking an alternative approach to management which included installing noise insulation in residential properties, erecting temporary acoustic barriers at strategic locations and extensive engagement with local residents and businesses
  • Working alongside the Bankside Open Spaces charity to regenerate a derelict old burial ground in Southwark, creating a new green space within the area – the Cross Bones Community Garden
  • Lasting improvements to wildlife and habitats in the local area, including holding a Wildlife Week – alongside the Wildlife Trust – which promoted biodiversity at construction sites.

Awards

The Thameslink Programme’s station redevelopment projects at London Bridge, Blackfriars and Farringdon have won industry awards for environmental sustainability:

  • Since 2013 the London Bridge redevelopment project has won leading industry awards for considerate and sustainable construction, environmental best practice and corporate social responsibility
  • The Blackfriars project team won a CEEQUAL Outstanding Achievement award for reducing carbon emissions
  • Farringdon station’s new ticket hall, which has a living roof, was hailed as an example of how biodiversity can be integrated into urban infrastructure and winner of a CEEQUAL Outstanding Achievement award.

Read more about the Thameslink Programme approach: Sustainability policy.

The Government-sponsored Thameslink Programme is transforming north-south travel through London. Find out more about how the Thameslink Programme is creating new railway infrastructure and stations, leading the way in adopting new digital technology and providing new trains.

Sign up for free text alerts

privacy policy

Follow us on Twitter @TLProgramme

Thameslink Programme