Protecting & Conserving Heritage
Redeveloping Blackfriars station
Protecting and conserving heritage at Blackfriars
Blackfriars station was extensively remodelled to provide a new shared entrance concourse for mainline and underground services, extended platforms spanning the Thames below a new roof, and a new South Bank entrance.
Heritage features preserved
Heritage features which were preserved in the redevelopment of Blackfriars station and bridge included:
Iron columns from the demolished train shed were sent to a Welsh rail museum.
The 54 “Destination Stones” displayed on the former concourse which indicated locations around Europe once served by the original London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) were refurbished and are now displayed on the new concourse. The stones listed destinations as diverse as Bickley, Marseille, Gravesend and Venice plus other European cities which could be accessed via cross-channel steamers.
The Listed Southern Abutment was remodelled to accommodate the widened rail bridge and the historic, painted cartouches were refurbished and re-sited atop the abutment.
The rail viaduct running north into the city was clad in zinc panels to screen signal and power cabling and provide an enhanced setting for the adjacent grade ll* listed Black Friar pub.
The railway boundary leading north into the Apothecaries Conservation Area was enhanced with a new, stock brick wall to replace the old hoardings. The quality of workmanship was particularly commended by the City Conservation Officer.
Pre-construction images of the bridge and station area
Grade II listed Farringdon station building was built in 1865 and modified in 1922. This case study outlines the heritage features that were preserved during its redevelopment, the design challenges faced and best practice for future projects.
A number of heritage features were preserved during the redevelopment of London Bridge station, which involved the demolition of a Grade II listed building under listed building consent.