The official opening of London Bridge station by the Duke of Cambridge on 9 May 2018 showcased what the Thameslink Programme has delivered to date and will continue to deliver for passengers, the South East route, locals and the surrounding community.
The event could have been a quick ribbon cutting followed by a cup of tea and a slice of cake for the guests. Instead, the team produced a professional, slick and truly inspired week of events that encompassed not just the royal party and some Network Rail guests but also honoured:
- Every partner in the programme
- All Network Rail staff who had worked on the project
- Local schools, stakeholders and businesses
Two weeks of celebratory and awareness-raising events around the station included:
- Invitations to local rail user groups
- Treasure hunt for local schoolchildren
- Information hand-outs to passengers
- Live music in the station.