For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Network Rail Infrastructure Limited.
Information we may collect
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you provide by entering your details on our site www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk (including sub-domains and any related websites) (our site); this includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material, requesting further services or leaving comments or complaints; we may also ask you for information when you report a problem to us.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our site including but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- From time to time Network Rail may publish vouchers on our site from third party retailers offering special offers or discounts on their goods or services. In order to obtain the vouchers you will have to register your details. Except as set out here we will not pass your personal information to any third parties, including the retailers providing these vouchers, without your consent.
- We may collect information about your computer including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration to assist continuous improvement of our site. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
What we do with your personal information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with details of products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
How we store your personal information
All information you provide to us via our site is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal information we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries (as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006).
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Network Rail Infrastructure Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by it about its users will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms of website use and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Network Rail Infrastructure Limited and/or any of its group companies, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
We may also use your personal information, or permit selected third parties to use your personal information, to provide you with details about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone, email or other electronic means. We will only do this in circumstances where you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.
You can find more information about the cookies used on our site and the reasons why in the tables below.
Should you wish, you can reject cookies completely by changing the settings of your browser. If you do this, however, you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. To learn more about cookies and how to manage them, visit the All About Cookies site.
|thameslink_has_cookie||Tells our site whether or not to display the cookie warning message.||2 years|
Third party cookies
We use popular sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to originate or syndicate some of our content. As a result, if you visit one of our pages on these sites, or a page on our site which has content embedded from them, you may be presented with their cookies. We do not control these cookies. You should check the relevant site for more information about the cookies placed on external third party sites.
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use our site. We do this to make sure that it is meeting our users’ needs and to enable us to improve the site as a result.
|_utma||This cookie tracks whether a visitor is new or returning, to determine unique visitor levels.||2 years|
|_utmb||This cookie is a randomly-generated number, to determine and track user sessions.||30 minutes|
|_utmc||This cookie works with the _utmb cookie to manage the user’s browser session.||When you close your browser|
|_utmv||This cookie is a randomly-generated number which tracks user’s journey on the website.||2 years|
|__utmmobile||This cookie is only created by the Google Analytics mobile tracking SDK. It stores an ID generated by MD5 hashing several possible values, and then returning a substring of the result prefixed with ‘0x’ – this serves as a unique visitor ID.||2 years|
|_utmz||This cookie is a randomly-generated number and information on how the site was reached (eg direct or via a link, organic or paid search). This cookie is updated every time the user visits the site.||6 months|
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other third party websites which may be of interest to you. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
How can you control your personal information or ask us to remove it?
You may choose to restrict the amount or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website you may be invited to indicate whether you want your personal information to be used for direct marketing purposes. By opting for it not to be used for direct marketing purposes, you are restricting our use. If you are not asked, we will not use your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- If you have previously agreed that you would like us to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Proof of identity will be required.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, or would like us to remove the details we hold about you, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly make the changes. Proof of identity will be required.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
What information do we collect?
When you register for the text reminder service, via our website, or by texting TLP to 60777 we will collect:
- your name;
- home station;
- mobile number
What will we use the information for?
We may use your information to send you a reminder text about planned service changes relating to the Thameslink Programme a week before they take place.
We will not contact you about unplanned disruption or other rail engineering programmes that may impact your journey.
How long will we keep your information?
We will retain your information until the end of the programme in 2018 when the programme will be complete, at which point it will be destroyed.
How do we protect your data?
The data you have provided to us will be held on a secure server provided by our third party provider, TxtLocalLtd, housed at Rackspace in Docklands, London. Access is restricted to authorised personnel only. We will never resell, or transmit your stored data to any third party. We do everything possible to keep your data secure.
Can I opt out?
Yes, at anytime, by texting STOP TLP to 60777, or email contact@ThameslinkProgramme.co.uk.
How can I request you delete my data?
We will delete your data when you opt out. Please see above for advice on how to opt-out.
How much will it cost?
Our messages to you are completely free of charge, however your initial reply will be charged at your standard network rate.